My business bank accounts were frozen in New York City. I had a judgment against me from a divorce matter.

New York, NY |
Filed under: Debt

My business bank accounts were frozen in New York City. I had a judgment against me from a divorce matter. They just got the judgment against me in the amoutn of of 50k and put it against my bank account, but now I can't operate my business and pay my staff. How can I convince the bank to unfreeze these accounts? Please don't just say "get an attorney." What kind of documents need to be filed in court?

You have to file an order to show cause with the matrimonial court showing how you expect to pay off the judgment. If the judge grants the order, you take it to the bank and they'll release the account. Otherwise you're financially incapacitated which typically happens in these cases.

You can move to vacate the judgment if you have a basis and lift the restraint. Yes it would be helpful to have an attorney assist you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.