My brother signed a rental agreement with a management-rental company, to lease out my dads house he is not on title? Legal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lancaster, CA

my brother signed a listing rental agreement with a mangement rental company, he has no pow, no authority of any kind, can he get a way with this or was the rental company to check title? I thought only the person on title could sign a contract.???

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Austin Hackard


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . If your brother has no right, title or interest in the property that is being rented the rental company has a contract with someone who is not authorized to contract for the rental.

    This is a general answer only and you should seek the advice of counsel to address facts specific to your... more
  2. Deborah Fiumera Bayus

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . If your brother is a property manager for your Father [via a written agreement with your Father], or has power of attorney or some other authority, of which you may not be aware, he would be able to contract for your Father.

  3. Jane Ellen Bednar

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Although you provide few facts, there may be other issues at play here. Is your father elderly? Does he reside in the home? Has your brother been controlling your father's finances? Who will the rental payments go to? If your father did not authorize your brother to rent the house, I would be suspicious about any other financial dealings between them. You may want to do some investigating. If there are irregularities, you should contact Adult Protective Services in your area or consult with an elder law attorney.

    My answers to questions posted on Avvo are not intended to constitute legal advice or to create an attorney-client... more
  4. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . As a general rule, one who is not on title has not right to lease the property to third parties.

    However, one can act as the agent for the actual owner. Generally, you would want a power of attorney to do this. DId your father approve of the listing with the broker? If not, your father should send a letter informing the broker that the brother does not own the property and he was not authorized by your father to list the property for rental.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,181 answers this week

2,874 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,181 answers this week

2,874 attorneys answering