My brother passed in New York. and I am not on the account.What do I need to do to withdraw the money & close the bank account?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

Both of our parents are dead.
We were their only two children.
The money in the bank account is from his lottery winnings.
My brother passed away nine (9) months ago.

1. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . letters testementry. you might need to file a probate, unless the amount involved is small.

2. J. Charles Coons

Answered . If your brother died without a will a probate will need to be opened in New York so that you can be designated as the special administrator. As the special administrator, you can submit letters of testamentary to the financial institutions to release the funds. You would do well to contact a New York probate attorney to handle the situation.

I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer, so get a second opinion and do not rely exclusively on my answer.