My brother passed away in Nevada, I live in Illinois, can I file affidavit of entitlement in Illinois for his Nevada accounts?

Asked 12 months ago - Chicago, IL

Do I list everyone related as possible heirs or do they each have to file this form? He was estranged from our other brothers and sisters for years before his death.

1. Judith Anne Schening

5

Answered . If your brother was Nevada resident at the time of his death and did not have a will, Nevada law will control how his estate is administered, except for financial accounts on which he validly designated beneficiaries. I would suggest that either you re-post your question as though you were located in Nevada (so as to gain the attention of Nevada attorneys) or that you contact a Nevada attorney directly for advice. I am sorry for your loss.

2. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

2

Answered . Illinois law and documents likely will not work in your situation. You should consult with a Nevada attorney. You can find one on this website or at naela.org.

Good Luck!

3. Jeff Ray Hawkins

1

Answered . I agree with the other respondents to your question. Nevada law governs your brother's accounts. The reference to a NAELA lawyer is good. You have an even better chance of finding a top quality trust and estate lawyer through the website of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), because Fellows of the College are inducted by invitation only after a careful study of inductees' reputations and demonstrations of outstanding expertise. I have attached a link to the ACTEC site, where you can search for Fellows near your deceased brother's residence.