My brother no longer wants his 1/2 of property we own jointly. Is quitclaim deed best way 4 him 2 sign over his interest to me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Blairsville, GA

Property is in Union County, GA. There are no liens, encumbrances, etc. on it. No money will be involved. If not quitclaim deed, what about a warranty deed? Also, is any other paperwork required for this transfer? (I know I need 2 witnesses & notary, & to file/record deed with local clerk's office.) Thank you.

1. Charles I. Pollack

1

Answered . Based on the information you provided, the Quitclaim Deed should work.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . You will need to consult local real estate counsel for the list of documents necessary to file a deed.

As to the type of deed, as the grantee you always prefer a warranty deed over a quitclaim deed.

Although there may be no liens on the property that you are aware of, it is always advisable to performa title and judgment search to see if your brother has any issues that might affect the property.

I am not a GA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.