My brother just passed away without will or anyone with power of attorney. he has more debt than assets. is family responsible?

Asked over 1 year ago - Spokane, WA

my brother was single, living alone and on disability.

1. Michael K. DuBeau

8

Answered . Truly sorry to hear of your loss. The short answer is that the creditors of your brother's estate can only look to his assets for repayment. The family is not responsible for his debts.

2. Kevin Coluccio

4

Answered . Not likely. You should take the time to meet with and consult with a Spokane probate attorney. Most probate attorneys provide for a free consultation. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for a probate attorney to talk with. I am sorry for your loss.

3. Paulette R Burgess

4

Answered . "Estate" of your brother means any checking and savings account balances, any real estate and personal property, anything of value. That is the estate. Someone will need to probate the estate, however. Nevertheless, no one in his family is liable. However, if he has a spouse, she may be liable for his debts, assuming they were incurred during the marriage. Condolescences.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . No the family is not responsible and the estate is only responsible to the extent of the estate.

5. Chandra Melissa Lewnau

2

Answered . You may also want to talk to a probate attorney about how a family award or creditor claims procedures may possibly be used to reduce the debts if there is a spouse or children.