Skip to main content

My brother is in jail now with a $2500 cash only bond does this mean I can't use a bondsmen? or do I have to pay the full amount

Denver, CO |

He does have a long rapsheet hes only been out of prison for 3 years

Attorney Answers 4


Cash Bond: This is just what it says, cash and cash only. This is when someone MUST post the entire amount in US currency. Typically a cash bond is only required when a defendant has previously failed to appear, when they are being held because they failed to pay monies owed to the court, or if it is an exceptionally serious charge they are facing. Of course, any bond may be satisfied by paying the full amount in cash.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


A bondsman posts a surety bond. If the order requires a cash bond, it cannot be posted through a bondsman.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


You can not go through a bonds person and must post $2,500 in cash. It will be returned if you brother shows up for all of his court appearances.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Yes, cash bond means that only cash can be used regardless of who pays it. This is not the kind of bond a professional bondsman uses. If your brother is in jail then he will qualify for the Public Defender. Have him write a "Kite" to the Judge asking to have the Public Defender appointed. Then, once you have a lawyer on board the lawyer can file a Motion to modify bond and address getting your brother out of jail.
Good luck.

Ann Toney, P.C. is a law firm in Denver, CO defending DUI, DUID, and marijuana drug charges.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics