My brother is going through a divorce and his wife moved out over 3 months ago and wants to move back in now, can she?

Newnan, GA |

she moved out on her own and hasnt wanted to move back even though he has asked her to stay just for the kids til the divorce is over. she has refused to moved back in. Now he has 2 roommates and since he has the 2 roommates she wants to move back in and make him move out. Can she do that or is there something he can do to prevent her from doing that. He pays he child support and gives her extra money

There is not enough information here to answer that question. Is it a house that is marital or an apartment? Where are the kids? Does she want to move the kids back in? If it is the marital home and she wants to move back in until the divorce is over that may be very possible especially if they are not legally separated and/or there are no orders stating she cannot move back in.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Its a home he bought and pays for. The kids stay with him 3 days and then stay with her. Would he need to go get legally separated? The oldest child isn't his but the younger one is but he takes care of both and has both 3 days a week

He should consult a local divorce attorney and discuss the situation in detail.

He's in a contested divorce. That means he needs a lawyer. Unless he has been foolish, he got one months ago. His lawyer will know the facts of the case and will know if he can or cannot prevent her return (and will also know if his getting roommates was proper as that may not be).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

It is difficult to answer your question with the information you provided. If you and your wife cannot agree, these types of issues can be addressed by the Judge if there is an action currently pending. If not, this may be a good time to file for Divorce or Legal Separation and hammer out these details.

This response to your query is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures and does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce