My brother is currently enrolled in fire camp up in susanville and has to serve 85% could he possibly get reduced to 65%?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

He has been charge wih a felony however, it was not considered violent (i don't think). He was charged with home invasion and the man was home but my brother fled the scene without posing a threat and he has had superb behavior. He is now going to fire camp up in susanville and I would love to know if he is eligible for being dropped to 65% time. Is there possibly a bill in the works that will go into effect withing the next year. My understanding is that this rumor has been coming from C.O.'S, not just other inmates. i will pay any amount I can to get an answer and possibly retain a lawyer to make this happen. Please respond or email me at tessrife123@YAHOO.COM.

There is no bill in the works that will drop an 85% felony to 65%. If anyone writes and say there is s/he's lying and you should go on to the next e-mail.

There is a puzzling piece of information in your question though: normally if you get first camp you get 3 days credit for every one day served. An 85% inmate would not be allowed to work in a fire camp. You need to speak to a prison lawyer to see what is going on.

My boyfriend just left Susanville fire camp for Devil's Garden and he is an 80% inmate. My understanding is that you can still be eligible for fire camp as long as you are a Level 1. My boyfriend has a strike from residential burglury and is in now on new felony charges that are non violent. He has me researching all this early release stuff online because he too is hearing the 65% rumors. Anyone else who knows anything about this, your input will be greatly appreciated!

I know Im late with this response, but sadly there is no extra reduction for someone with a sentence to serve 80%-85%. It is possible for them to get accepted into camp...thats about as good as it gets. Staying out of trouble while in camp will make everyones life easier. The CO's and counselors at camp will entertain the rumor of reduced time but as of now, its not in the works of happening. The only way it would happen is if there was some sort of error while doing the sentence calculation..unlikely. The sentence given at 80-85% is mandatory and following the sentenceing laws and regulations for the inmates specific crime(s). No prison counselor, camp counselor, or Officer has authority to lessen the sentence or change the mandated time in which the prisoner should serve; that would be changing the law. Only exception to this rule I believe is Federal Prison...they can wheel and deal there but as far as State Prison, its pretty dry, uncut, and straight to the point. It doesnt hurt to be optimistic but in these situations...being a realist doesnt hurt. It hasnt let me down yet!;)

My understanding is that inmates serving 85% can still go to fire camp, but they don't get any time reduction for it.

Now, if the inmate makes a deal for workcamp that is predicated on credits, he could still make a collateral estoppel argument against not getting the credits, right, guys? I know that its a long-shot, but I have read about it in the past.