My brother is 70yr old and never been married. he has alzheimers and no place to live and no guardian.what next?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Annville, KY

my 70 yr old brother has never been married. he has one son but not a close relationship several states away. he has a farm which he is still paying for.he has lived with lady 12 yr. but now she cant handle him.he has come to his home with no electricty, no heat or water.he is still driving and getting lost.he is a very big man and i dont think anyone could handle him at home.he has no guardian. what do you suggest? i dont think his so n will want to acceot any responsibilty as he is young and in college.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to speak with an attorney who specializes in family law matters and regularly does guardianship/conservatorship in his area. You need to do this before something tragic occurs.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  2. Benjamin I. Hirsch

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Attorney Fromm is correct. if your brother has Alzheimer's you need to have someone (possibly you) appointed both guardian and conservator over him. By doing that you'll be able to get him either assistance at home or placement in an assisted care facility. You will also want to look for funding, as this gets expensive.
    You may be able to find an attorney to get him Medicaid or if he is a veteran, possibly the Veteran's Pension plus Aid and Attendance, to assist in the funding of his care.

    Good luck.

    The information provided is based solely on the general information given and should not be construed as legal... more
  3. Katherine B Schnauss Naugle


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You need to make an appointment with an Elder Law attorney in his area to advise you. Under Florida Law, if he lived here, you would do a guardianship for him and if he has no living parents then his siblings would have priority to serve. However, I am not sure what the law is where your brother lives.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,142 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,142 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering