My brother from Belgium and his mother from Brazil are visiting Canada. They both have US B2 visas, can I bring them to USA?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: B-2 tourist visa

My brother with a Belgian passport and his mother from Brazil have been travelling in California for 2-3 months (Nov-Jan). They are going back to Brazil now for family reasons (sick grandmother), but they want to go to visit friends in Vancouver, Canada soon. Then, I want to go pick them up and bring them here to Seattle for a day or two.

Are there any issues with me picking them up in Canada and then driving back over the border to Seattle to stay for a few days? Do they have to travel by plane to get into the USA? Is it likely that they will be denied entry at the US-Canada border even with valid B2 visas since they were just in the country last month?

will depend on the CBP officer, if driving, be prepared to spend some time at inspections, but it may go very fast and smooth

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Thanks. Usually, I go back and forth over the border with no issues, Usually to go watch the Vancouver Canucks play NHL hockey.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

The issue will not be with you, but them. Hopefully it will be ok.

Oh, I meant compared to when I travel to other countries. Over the Canada-US border always goes smoothly for me (not counting the crazy traffic at times). Thanks!

No, I do not see a problem unless they have been spending significantly more time in the US than you stated above. WIth a B2 visa, they can come to the US (across any border) for up to 6 months at a time. The problem we see is when a person comes on a b2 visa, leaves at 6 months, then returns shortly thereafter for another long period of time appearing to have immigrant intent.

They've only been in California for a few months visiting a few different cities. Now they are back in Brazil, but they are planning on going to Canada soon. Since I live in Seattle, I'd like to pick them up over the weekend and show them the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and etc. Thanks for the quick reply!

I would like to add that they should take any documentaiton showing their stay in the United States will be brief (ticket to Brazil already in hand and bought, showing when they plan on leaving). Good luck!

For sure. They will definitely have a return ticket since my step mother is a co-owner of a popular restaurant in Brazil and all of her family lives there too. She has no family here in the USA or Canada (except for me being half-brothers with her son). I doubt she'd want stay here. (It's too cold and rainy for them anyways).

They should not have any problems. Just follow the advice of attorneys who provided answers to your question!

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova www.shautsova.com www.shautsova.com www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

A person from Brazil needs a visa to come to the U.S. If they do not have the required admission document, you cannot try to bring them into the U.S. by car, nor plane.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

They both have US B-2 visas. My concern is that they were just visiting the country for a few months at the end of 2012. Now, they are in Brazil and then they will visit Canada. I want to pick them up from Canada to come back into the USA to visit Seattle for the weekend. According to other answers, it seems like it should not be a problem.

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

At each arrival, the Customs and Border Protection agent must determine if they are admissible.

Recommended articles about Immigration