My brother excluded everyone by name in his will except me, can it be contested ?

Park City, KY |

I was also named his power of attorney and executor of his estate . My wife and I lived with him in his home and cared for him, no-one else in the family even spoke to him.

He had no children or wife. It is an uncle and aunt who we think might try to contest it.

1. Any Will can be contested. That said, it is not easy and is usually an uphill battle. The grounds for contesting Wills are generally: 1) failure to properly execute, (Will is not signed, does not have the right number of witnesses, etc); 2) the testator lacked capacity, (did not know what he was signing); or 3) there was undue influence exerted, (testator could not freely sign Will, because of threats of violence, etc).

The burden of proof is on the person contesting the Will. If the Will is contested, you would need to hire an attorney to help you defend it.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. Agree with Mr. Frederick, contesting a will is an uphill battle. Your question suggests that if your brother's intent was to "cut out" all his relatives except for you, and he named them all, someone was doing things the right way in drafting his will.

That's because, it's usually presumed as a "default" that people love all their relatives, so if the will is silent, the property will be equally divided among his closest next of kin. But if the decedent drafting a will says specifically, I intend to leave "W", " X" and "Y" nothing (or a nominal bequest like $100 or $1000 which is the polite way of doing it if you really don't totally hate those you are "cutting out" or want to make them so angry they will contest the will) and the remainder of my estate to "Z" (you in this case), the only issue is whether the decedent was of "sound mind" (not delirious or suffering dementia) when he signed the will and said to the witnesses that this was what he wanted to do (that is, he wasn't "out of it" and you were putting a pen in his hand and he had no idea what he was signing, which some unscrupulous relatives or caretakers sometimes attempt to do).

But do get a good probate lawyer to fend off possibly angry siblings who may think about contesting the will in probate proceedings.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. Yes it can be contested but its very difficult to prevail.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Wills and estates topics