My bro is disabled lives in missouri--has hired a lawyer in Columbia 4 yrs ago to get him a workmans comp settlement..

Asked over 2 years ago - Blue Springs, MO

i want to know how we can find out if this lawyer is even working towards a settlement or stalling ,thinking my bro. is so ill why bother. This man has very little money and needs homecare.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Melvin G. Franke

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Call the Division od workers compensation to find out the status of his case


  2. Lacy Michelle Fields

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You may not be able to talk to your brother's lawyer, but here are some guidelines:
    If this was an "accepted" (versus denied) injury, and if your brother is still actively recieving treatment, the case is probably not ready for a final settlement. That is because a patient must reach "maximum medical improvement" before they can recieve a final disability rating.
    However, if you brother is in need of medical care/treatment and his employer is refusing to pay for it, the matter could be taken to a "hardship hearing" which is essentially a mini-trial.

    The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based on advertisements alone. This response... more
  3. George Ellis Corson IV

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You probably cannot, unless you end up as your brothers Conservator. The Attorney/Client privilege will prevent the WC attorney from discussing the case with you. The privilege belongs to your brother, and he is the only one who can waive it. Your brother is the one who should be inquiring, unless he is mentally incompetent.

    Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,451 answers this week

3,294 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,451 answers this week

3,294 attorneys answering