Skip to main content

My boyfriends is in jail and is getting deported. is there something i can do?

Detroit, MI |

When he was 15 he entered illegally and they had caught him but since he was underage they put him in a detention center for minors and then released him to his mom he had court and had voluntary departure but he didn't leave and he continue to live here and now 3 years later they caught him and hes getting deported . he has no court no nothing just straight for deportation . Is there anything i can do since he came in at a very early age ? ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


He may be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. Has your boyfriend ever been convicted of a crime? Did he graduate from high school, a GED or is he still in school. How old is he?

He may request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals if he:

Was under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;

Came to the United States before reaching his 16th birthday;

Has continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;

Was physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making his request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;

Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or his lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;

Is currently in school, has graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, has obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and

Has not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.



he is 18 right now and no he is not in school and didnt finish it but he was working.he came to the united states in 2009 and he was 15 at the time. he has never been convicted of a crime.

Mani Khavajian

Mani Khavajian


He does not qualify for Deferred Action for Childhood arrivals. It sounds like he is subject to a previous final order of removal. Depending on specific facts which may or may not be present in his case, he may qualify for some sort of relief. Contact an immigration attorney for a consultation to determine if relief is available for him.


The best thing you can do now is have a formal consultation with an experienced immigration attorney in the area as soon as possible.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova



thanks, but will there be any chance that he can possibly get a relief?


Consult with an attorney as soon as possible

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer