My boyfriends divorce trial ended w/ him paying 4k a mo. In alimony for 8 yrs.We just had a baby. Good reason for a reduction?

Nashua, NH |

The marriage lasted 27 years he worked his Butt off and she outright refused to lift a finger. They have 2 adult daughters of whom she had testify at divorce trial, disgusting if you ask me. Anyway he makes 190,000 a year plus gets a bonus (some years) and fettered stock * court used both to come up w/ a gross yearly amt. She actually went and got a job making 32,000 a year since separation. Anyways in final decree he got 40% of 401k her 60% She got one of the family homes w/ 85k equity and he the other w/ 50k in equity. The debt he has is signifigant financial affidavit. Reflects he DOES NOT have the ability to pay $4k a month. Attorney told him the amount ordered was high and filing reconsideration- if that fails maybe Supreme court? Anyways is our 2 mo.old good reason for modification

This is not the place to ask such a complex question. His attorney is already working on post trial motions. Let his attorney do his job.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Just wondering if a new baby is a reason to modify alimony. He does make good amount of income and I wonder will judge have the "You have plenty to go around" view point?

Even though we have no money (or very little after bills each month)

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

The first wife and the alimony will come before you and your family from the perspective of the court.

I read its based on need AND ability to pay. A grown woman capable of working and being self- supporting comes before a baby? Are you kidding me!?! This is pathetic

I cannot speak for what the law is in NH, but in IL your baby would not be a factor when determining modification.

Isn't. A baby a new expense?

J. Richard Kulerski

J. Richard Kulerski

So is a Rolls Royce.

Thank You for taking time out to answer Richard- But a living breathing responsibility? He needs to be cared for, no? A rolls Royce a judge can order to ' be sold', a baby however cannot be sent back! So honestly in your professional opinion would a judge modify the amount based on new baby/ expenses associated with? I have read in law bogs that it IS INDEED A REASONABLE CAUSE FOR MODIFICATION. Thanxs again!

Marriage and prenups topics