My boyfriend was involved in a hit and run car accident in my vehichle . I was not present. No police involved.

Asked over 3 years ago - Bend, OR

A witness wrote down my license plate and turned it into his insurance. Now an attorney is threatening to suspend my drivers license and is asking me for thousands of dollars. Once again, no police involved. The boyfriend has moved out of state, I have no idea where. How can I stop this from destroying me. What type of lawer do I need ?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Robert J Harris


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If you have insurance, refer all this information to them and cooperate with them on providing all information about the accident. If you don't have insurance, then you may need to hire a lawyer to defend you.

    You may want to discuss the complete facts with an attorney. There is the possibilitythat even if you weren't the driver you could still be liable personally. For instance, your insurance policy requires you to take certain actions after an accident. Like report it to them an cooperate in coverage issues. If for instance you knew of this, and months and months went by, you didn't report it, and then your ex boyfriend moved out of state, your insurer may deny coverage because of your lack of cooperation. And the other driver may sue you saying that you assisted in hiding the real person, and if you hadn't done that, they could have sued him and recovered. But your actions caused them to lose insurace coverage and to not be able to pursue the bad guy.

    In Oregon, and uninsured accident will cause DMV to suspend your license. And, if you get a judgement against you for the damage (if your insurer denies coverage and you get sued and the court says you owe the money) then again, DMV will suspend your license until you pay.

    You should buy some time form a lawyer here.

  2. Michael Scott Rothrock

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You need a lawyer that concentrates their practice in civil defense. Assuming you have insurance, though, please call your insurance company and report the claim and they will handle hiring you a lawyer to defend you.

    This information is provided for general purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-... more
  3. Brian C. Pascale


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Turn this over to your insurance company. The other parties attorney has NO authority to have your driver's license suspended. Only the state can do that. As for suing you, that is why you have insurance.

    Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does... more
  4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Agree with the other contributors.

  5. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If the vehicle was insured, simply turn it into your insurance and let them deal with it. If the car was not insured, you and your boyfriend are each liable for the entire amount of any damage which was caused. Police involvement has nothing to do with it. A lawyer would not be able to do anything other than coordinate matters and you would need to pay them by the hour.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr.... more

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,299 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,299 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering