My boyfriend was charged with agg robbery and received 30 years max; 15 min in jail. He has done 7 yrs. Can he be released soon?

Houston, TX |

This is his first offense and has never been in any trouble prior to this incident. He went in when he was about 19. We have a 6 year old son who needs his father home. I feel the sentence was a little harsh given the fact that this is his first offense. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

That is totally up to the parole board. He should be going up for review. You can consult with an attorney about putting together a plan for release.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

JaPaula C Kemp

JaPaula C Kemp

I agree with attorney Peebles. I misunderstood the question. Did not see the 30 years but focused on the 15 yrs with 7 yrs completed. Attorney Peebles is deed on with his analysis.

I'm assuming he was sentenced to 30 years and the "minimum of 15" simply refers to parole eligibility for a 3g offense. Unless the entire thing is undone (though a pardon or a habeas action...both of which are very much uphill battles), then the current law requires him to serve at least 15 years before the parole board can exercise its discretion to release him.

*** The fact that you solicited advice over a public forum waives any attorney-client privilege thus far. In addition, communications over this forum do not create any attorney-client relationship. To have a privileged conversation and/or establish an attorney-client relationship, contact me using the following information: Peyton Z. Peebles III Capitaine, Shellist, Peebles & McAlister, LLP, 713-715-4500 (office) 713-715-4500 (cell) Peebles@TexasLegalTeam.net www.TexasLegalTeam.net

It is up to the parole board and the Department of Corrections time comp for earned time and good time credits.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.