My boyfriend was arrested yesterday for having a firearm. he has a prior conviction in military court. (felony)

Atlanta, GA |

what are the chances of him getting out without having to do jail time.

1. He should get a bond. How was the gun found? What is his prior conviction for? How long ago was he convicted?

2. I agree that he should get some sort of bond. Is he still on probation for his prior offense or has that all been taken care of now? Due to the prior conviction, I assume he has now been charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He needs to hire a lawyer as soon as possible who MAYBE can get him only probation. Hard to say if he will have to serve jail time.

NOTICE - 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-478-743-8337, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.

3. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. If the charge is a felony (convicted felon in possession of a firearm) this is a serious matter. Contact a local attorney in GA to assist you and begin the defense.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

4. This is highly fact specific. Others have alrady asked some of the most obvious questions. If there is more to the story, then a bond may not occur. Still, if the facts are not too damning, a bond is probable.

He needs counsel immediately. Also, his counsel should have some familiarity with the military court conviction. That will be helpful.

My firm handles both state and military criminal matters, as most of our attorneys are former or current military (reserves). Give us a call for more information.

I hope this helps.