My boyfriend was arrested by immigration. What can i do? What are the options for him?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dearborn Heights, MI

My boyfriend who was soon to be my fiancee was arrested in his house and they were unable to give him a bond because he has a pass history of a dui from 7yrs ago. When he asked the reason for his arrest, they said the hhx of the dui. If he paid all the fines and did volunteer work, why would they go after him? He's mexican, his parents brought him since he was young, he's been here 23yrs here. We were planning to get married, im a us citizen. What are our options? And what is the likelihood of him getting a bond and not being deported?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Without wasting any time, hire him the best immigration lawyer in your area that money can buy, to go and visit him at the detention center, analyze his case, quickly file a motion to free him on bond and map the strategy for him to be able to remain in the U.S.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Your boyfriend needs to meet with an immigration attorney as soon as possible to explore the possibilities. Depending on the specific details of the DUI incident, and depending on other aspects of his life and history, there might be one or more options for him to try to remain in the United States.

3. Russell Reid Abrutyn

Pro

2

Answered . It is important that you and your boyfriend speak with an immigration attorney as soon as possible. It sounds like there may be options for him but he has to move quickly.

4. Daniel P. Hilf

2

Answered . This is one of those critical moments in life where you must immediately hire an experienced immigration lawyer. He has several potential forms of relief which the lawyer you hire can discuss with you once he or she is able to analyze the case. You should hire a lawyer to visit him at the detention facility he is housed to gather information and to properly advise him. There are lawyers who, if hired, will see him and meet with you over the weekend or after hours if necessary. Please feel free to visit my website at the attached link.

5. Lynne Rogers Feldman

3

Answered . Tell him not to sign anything until he has a chance to speak with an immigation attorney and learn his options. Look for a strong removal immigration attorney in your area who can go visit him and speak with you on his options, get copies of his old conviction, etc. If he has been here that long he likely has options -- perhaps DACA?

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

6. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . My colleagues are correct:

1. Don't let him sign anything
    2. Start saving money for bond and attorney fees
    3. Meet with an attorney immediately.