My boyfriend was arrested by immigration. What can i do? What are the options for him?

Dearborn Heights, MI |

My boyfriend who was soon to be my fiancee was arrested in his house and they were unable to give him a bond because he has a pass history of a dui from 7yrs ago. When he asked the reason for his arrest, they said the hhx of the dui. If he paid all the fines and did volunteer work, why would they go after him? He's mexican, his parents brought him since he was young, he's been here 23yrs here. We were planning to get married, im a us citizen. What are our options? And what is the likelihood of him getting a bond and not being deported?

Tell him not to sign anything until he has a chance to speak with an immigation attorney and learn his options. Look for a strong removal immigration attorney in your area who can go visit him and speak with you on his options, get copies of his old conviction, etc. If he has been here that long he likely has options -- perhaps DACA?

--
Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277
website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Without wasting any time, hire him the best immigration lawyer in your area that money can buy, to go and visit him at the detention center, analyze his case, quickly file a motion to free him on bond and map the strategy for him to be able to remain in the U.S.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

My colleagues are correct:

1. Don't let him sign anything
2. Start saving money for bond and attorney fees
3. Meet with an attorney immediately.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

I agree with my colleagues. Your boyfriend needs to meet with an immigration attorney as soon as possible to explore the possibilities. Depending on the specific details of the DUI incident, and depending on other aspects of his life and history, there might be one or more options for him to try to remain in the United States.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

It is important that you and your boyfriend speak with an immigration attorney as soon as possible. It sounds like there may be options for him but he has to move quickly.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known and detailed research has not been undertaken. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers require an investigation into all facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. Use these answers at your own risk.

This is one of those critical moments in life where you must immediately hire an experienced immigration lawyer. He has several potential forms of relief which the lawyer you hire can discuss with you once he or she is able to analyze the case. You should hire a lawyer to visit him at the detention facility he is housed to gather information and to properly advise him. There are lawyers who, if hired, will see him and meet with you over the weekend or after hours if necessary. Please feel free to visit my website at the attached link.

Education law topics