Skip to main content

My boyfriend wants to apply for his permanent resident.

Bradenton, FL |

My boyfriend wants to apply for his permanent resident he has 10 years being in this country. He came to this country illegally the first time he got caught they send him back to his country he came the second time he was able to pass. we plan to get marry in a few months the reason is he still waiting for his passport to come. I am a us citizen what can we do to get his papers and how. Do he needs to get the green card first then the permanent resident and if he needs to leave the country and go to his. Is there anyway he can stay in the USA while his paper are in process. Any advice would be appreciated it. Thank you for your time

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Multiple issues:
    1) the deportations could have resulted in a bar.
    2) he cannot adjust status in the US. To immigrate, if at all possible, he will need waivers and will need to process abroad.

    You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. Having re-entered the US after he was deported is a very bad thing for him.

    Meet with an attorney.

    Unfortunately, even marriage to a US citizen doesn't 'save' everyone.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. This is a very complex case. He will not be able to adjust his status without leaving the US and without multiple waivers. This is not a case you should attempt to handle on your own, because the approval rates are very, very low. Meet with an attorney to discuss your options.

  4. I agree with my colleagues. You should meet with an experienced immigration attorney.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics