My boyfriend violated an order of protection in Kane County. He was arrested, there is no bond.

Elgin, IL |
Filed under: Domestic violence

Also, the judge ordered a psychiatric evaluation. Will he receive jail time or will the original charge of domestic battery be changed to a felony?

1. The original charge will not be changed. A new charge of Violation of an Order of Protection has obviously been filed, along with a Petition for Violation of Bail Bond (meaning he violated the conditions of bond that were set on the original doemstic battery by committing a new crime). The VOBB is why he is being held without bond. He needs an experienced criminal defense attorney who practices in Kane County. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net

2. Mr. Galivan is right, if he wants specific answers to questions about his case, he'll need to retain a lawyer. I recommend that he do so as soon as possible. If he is being held without bond, you may have to help him find one.

3. No one can predict whether he will do jail time. He needs to obtain local experienced defense counsel to represent his interests.

4. The violation of the Orderof Protection is separate from the original domestic battery charge. Is this a criminal Order of Protection or a separate civil Order of Protection? If it is a criminal one which is a part of his bond from the domestic battery; he is at risk of having it revoked and being in jail pending the trial on his case. The violation could lead to additional charges; possibly felonies from the actions which were the violation of the order of protection but upping the original charge from actions that took place after the original incident should not happen. I am not certain if you are posting for your own information or on his behalf.

This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer you need our firm needs you to come in for a consultation.