My boyfriend recently got a DUI, and this is his first time ever receiving a DUI does he really need a lawyer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

He has already received a letter from the Los Angeles superior court. Regarding violation of section V23152a

1. Hart Jasper Levin

Pro

15

Answered . Definitely. In fact the court may not let him proceed without a lawyer. He may be eligible for a public defender if he is below the poverty line.

310-935-3100 if you would like to discuss the case.

2. Matthew Murillo

Pro

12

Answered . If he just wants to plead guilty to the DUI and lose his license, then no, he doesn't need a lawyer. If he wants to defend himself and give himself a shot at winning his case, then yes, he does.

A good lawyer will do a thorough investigation of the case. This means they will look into the reason for the stop/contact, the arrest, driving pattern, BAC level and what defenses he has available.

Just because he had alcohol in his system, it doesn't mean he is guilty. There are a number of defenses that might be available to him. But if he doesn't try to defend himself with a lawyer, he's letting the DA and DMV off the hook by not making them prove he is guilty.

Feel free to call me if he wants to discuss the case.

3. Michael Korry Bialys

11

Answered . It's always a good idea to get your own lawyer,especially when dealing with the DMV. Remember you don't get a public defender when dealing with them and when your license is at stake it is best to have and experienced DUI attoreny is your corenr

4. John Lawrence Buckley

12

Answered . Does he really want to give up all of his rights? Yes, he needs to at least consult with a lawyer.

5. Frank Mascagni III

12

Answered . Yes, he needs to hire an attorney ASAP to represent him.

6. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

10

Answered . PD's can do the job but they won't hold his hand or go 'the extra mile' but, if he qualifies, it might not be a bad bet. Your b/f should know the circumstances of his stop and he'll get a copy of the PR at his arraignment. If there is anything fishy in the report, I'd suggest a private attorney is the way to go.

7. Tai Christopher Bogan

Pro

9

Answered . Do I need ice water in hell?

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.
  8. Maltaise E Cini

3

Answered . Your boyfriend should hire an attorney to represent him. He should also make sure that he contact the DMV and set a APS hearing. He must request the hearing within 10 days from the date of arrest. The DMV hearing and court hearing are separate from each other.