My boyfriend owes approx. $2000 to the court and he can't pay it. What are his options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

fines/fees are from various tickets; littering, driving without motorcycle license/speeding/no insurance, and a dui

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . For fines related to a misdemeanor, such as DUI, he can convert the amount he owes to community service ($8.50 per hour, I believe) or jail ($30 per day in Los Angeles County). He can also request an extension of the due date for payment of such fines.

    For those fines related to infractions, he cannot convert the fine to jail time, but often he can convert it to community service.

  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In this case, either he can be placed in payment plan or he can go back to court and request either community service or serve time. They are not about to forgive $2000.

  3. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He can potentially convert some if the fines to jail time, community service (possibly) or set up a payment plan. Unfortunately, his license is likely suspense for failure to pay and the hold on his license won't be lifted until he pays it all off.

    You're better off borrowing from a friend or family member so you can get your license back than do payments to the court that will hold up your license.
    Please pardon any typos - posted via mobile device.

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the court to arrange payments. Otherwise contact his attorney to discuss options. Good luck.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Fines for criminal conviction

Courts impose fines as a punishment that also provides restitution to victims and/or the government. Fines may be imposed alone or in addition to prison time.

Vache E Bahadurian

Suspended License Ticket

A common case in the Municipal Courts of New Jersey is a driver being accused of Driving a Motor Vehicle while their Driver's License is Suspended or Revoked. Thousands of individuals are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,358 answers this week

3,953 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,358 answers this week

3,953 attorneys answering