Skip to main content

My boyfriend is on ICE hold after I paid his bond and put down a car title, what's next and why?

Sarasota, FL |

My boyfriend was taken into custody yesterday morning 3/21/2013. He missed his court date and tried re-scheduling with his public deffender but never got a call back, therefore had a warrant and was picked up by a sheriff. He got two seperate charges of driving without a license a $1,000 a piece, therefor his bond was $200, we then went to pick him up around 9 when a cellmate of his called and told us they had called his name and was ready to be picked up, then they later told us we had to go home that he still wasn't ready. When I got home I called the county jail to learn his release date would now be 3/25/13 and that he was put on ICE hold, why if his bond was paid, if he has a misdemetor charge and if he was ready to go home? & now what would be your legal advice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


He cannot bond out from criminal custody if he has an ICE hold. He'll need a good criminal attorney and a good immigration attorney.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


He may also need a bond for ICE.

Get an attorney ... this is probably going to become quite serious.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues. He needs an attorney as this could be a big deal.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit


The immigration hold issue is separate from the misdemeanor charges. If you would like to schedule a consultation in the Sarasota office, please call 941-773-1523.


It seems that your boyfriend is illegally in the US. In fact, I would assume that this is why he was driving without a license in the first place. In this situation, the criminal system is ready to release him on bond but the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) who are the deportation enforcers, have decided that since he is here illegally and has criminal charges, he is deportable from the US. This can only get worse if it is ignored. There are limited defenses against deportation. We should discuss his options ASAP.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


Yeah he'll need an immigration attorney and a criminal attorney. Or one that does both. If you talk to him, tell him that no matter what, do not plea out to the charges of no valid dl. Judge Heinrich will probably offer him a deal to get out on time served if he will plead guilty, but it will only hurt his immigration case. He may have defenses to the criminal case and he'll need to explore those ASAP since it sounds like USCIS thinks he's deportable.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer, Majid!

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer