My boyfriend is on ICE hold after I paid his bond and put down a car title, what's next and why?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sarasota, FL

My boyfriend was taken into custody yesterday morning 3/21/2013. He missed his court date and tried re-scheduling with his public deffender but never got a call back, therefore had a warrant and was picked up by a sheriff. He got two seperate charges of driving without a license a $1,000 a piece, therefor his bond was $200, we then went to pick him up around 9 when a cellmate of his called and told us they had called his name and was ready to be picked up, then they later told us we had to go home that he still wasn't ready. When I got home I called the county jail to learn his release date would now be 3/25/13 and that he was put on ICE hold, why if his bond was paid, if he has a misdemetor charge and if he was ready to go home? & now what would be your legal advice?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Best Answer

Answered . He cannot bond out from criminal custody if he has an ICE hold. He'll need a good criminal attorney and a good immigration attorney.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

1

Answered . He may also need a bond for ICE.

Get an attorney ... this is probably going to become quite serious.

3. Donna Scarlatelli

Pro

2

Answered . It seems that your boyfriend is illegally in the US. In fact, I would assume that this is why he was driving without a license in the first place. In this situation, the criminal system is ready to release him on bond but the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) who are the deportation enforcers, have decided that since he is here illegally and has criminal charges, he is deportable from the US. This can only get worse if it is ignored. There are limited defenses against deportation. We should discuss his options ASAP.

4. Majid Vasigh

Pro

1

Answered . Yeah he'll need an immigration attorney and a criminal attorney. Or one that does both. If you talk to him, tell him that no matter what, do not plea out to the charges of no valid dl. Judge Heinrich will probably offer him a deal to get out on time served if he will plead guilty, but it will only hurt his immigration case. He may have defenses to the criminal case and he'll need to explore those ASAP since it sounds like USCIS thinks he's deportable.

5. Justin Eric Elder

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. He needs an attorney as this could be a big deal.

6. Thomas W. Goldman

Pro

2

Answered . The immigration hold issue is separate from the misdemeanor charges. If you would like to schedule a consultation in the Sarasota office, please call 941-773-1523.