My boyfriend is in my home and refuses to leave. I live in HUD assisted housing and I do not know what to do.He not on the lease

Asked over 1 year ago - Auburn, AL

He has been in my home off and on for a couple of months he pays no bills , but he refuses to leave . The cops came once and said it was a tenant problem and they could do nothing . He has not actually hit me yet , but hes verbally abusive . . . what can i do . He said the cops couldn't make me leave and you cant either . We are not sexually involved or anything , I just want him to leave , but he wont .

1. Paula Coleman Greenway

Pro

1

Answered . First of all, you are probably in violation of your agreement with HUD by having him to live in this property. From the HUD agreements I have reviewed, there has been a clause prohibiting any unlisted adults from occupying the property with you. This may be a situation where you want to seek assistance from the magistrate in having him removed. I would call the magistrate and ask for assistance on how to get the police to remove him.

2. Makesha Nicole Nowell

1

Answered . Generally in Subsidized Housing, a guest that stays over 14 days per calendar year is in violation of the lease. You are also in violation of your lease if he is using your residence as his residence for his mail.

You will have to evict him through your local district court. Prior to filing in court, you have to give him written notice that you are evicting him. You need to speak with an attorney about the notice requirements because an improper notice can get your case dismissed.

You need to try and keep this process as drama free as you can or your landlord might try to evict you. If you fear for your safety, contact the police and your local battered women's shelter for assistance.