My boyfriend is in boot camp for the Army and missed his court date and now there is a warrant for his arrest.

Asked about 2 years ago - King George, VA

My boyfriend was due to leave for bootcamp January seventh and he had a date to appear in court the same day for child support. He asked for another court date which they rescheduled for February fourth and he had told them he would still be in boot camp but they said they could not reschedule again. The cops came to his parents house with a warrant for his arrest today but we're told the situation and they said he needed to turn himself in when he gets out of boot camp. His child support is paid and nothing is owed anymore. When he turns himself in will they arrest him? And will another court date be issued and if so will it be within the two weeks he has before he has to report to his first duty station?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Actually. He would be best advised to talk with one of the Legal Assistance officer on his base - it is free.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This may affect his military career--he should see a JAG first, may need to hire a civilian attorney afterward.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not really a military law question, which generally deals with military charges. He needs to contact an attorney in the city where the warrant was issued and have them handle it. His military status is not the relevant issue, as these are civilian charges.

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most likely he has a bench warrant with the applicable county. I think a legal assistance officer on his base could make a call to the county police to work out the confusion.

  5. Answered . His first step should be to see a legal assistance officer. He may have some relief under the Servicemember Civil Relief Act if a default judgment was entered. As far as the warrant, he will need to have the warrant quashed. A local attorney in the area will have to go into court to do that. The court date for the child support will not likely occur within the two weeks. He should have more freedom once he gets out of AIT to attend the court date. There a legal assistance attorneys in practically every duty station. He needs to seek them out. As my colleague indicated, they are absolutely free and there to serve servicemembers.

Related Topics

Military law

Military law deals with issues covered by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which is a set of federal laws applying to members of the armed forces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,282 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,282 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering