Skip to main content

My boyfriend is doing 2 and half years in prison.

Utica, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

He is there for a assault in the second degree it is his first time in trouble with law do u think he would go to a medium max or mimumin prison? Also does doing his ged and getting into programs take time off his sentence time?

Attorney Answers 4


Most likely he will start in a medium security facility. Also he will get credit for his good time served.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Medium as it is a violent charge.
Due to the nature of the charge, he has to serve 6/7's of the sentence which is approx 25 months less time already served.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Assault in the second degree is a violent felony charge. Generally this would indicate that he would start in a medium security prison. Getting his GED and taking part in programs can certainly be a positive thing on his prison record when he comes up for a parole hearing.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


If he is serving a determinate sentence, mere enhancement progams won't make a difference on his serving the mandatory sentence. He will also be doing some type of post-release supervision which is usually part of the sentence. The distinction between max and min prisions has diminished over the years in NYS.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics