My boyfriend is co sponsoring my mom to get either her green card or citizenship and he files for bankruptcy will it affect her?

Denver, CO |

My mom is applying for her either green card or citizenship i am the main sponsor and my boyfriend is the co sponsor he recently filed for bankruptcy and my mom is already in the process she has her appointment to get her fingerprints taken next month. Will it affect her application or her not getting it because of the bankruptcy

It shoudn't.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

No.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

To sponsor someone with immigration requires the person to show that they have enough assets to be responsible for the immigrant to prevent them from becoming a public charge. What that means is if they go to the hospital, the sponsor has them covered with medical insurance or can pay cash for the hospital bill. Whether your boyfriend has that kind of money would be a question of fact that would not have anything to do with whether or not he filed bankruptcy in the past.

But if you really love this guy, don't ask him for this kind of favor. It will ruin your relationship & it sounds like he already has problems aplenty! Hope this perspective helps!