My boyfriend is charged with rape- 3rd degree E felony. The girl he was with lied about her age. What's the outcome of his case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

If he registers as a sex offender, can it effect my employment and future opportunities? How can he fight him possibly having to register as a sex offender?

1. Dominic H. Saraceno

Pro

8

Answered . The outcome depends on a lot of factors. Most importantly, whether the DA can prove the charges. Depending on the strength of the evidence, your boyfriend might want to go to trial. If the evidence is strong, a well negotiated plea might be in his best interest.

2. Howard A. Schwartz

8

Answered . The outcome of his case should not affect your employment in most instances. He might be able to negotiate a plea that would not require registration. His attorney should be able to answer most of your questions.

3. Latrice Vinell Campbell

7

Answered . His criminal record will have no bearing on your future employment. You can consult with an attorney, but it will not affect you.

4. Marco Caviglia

6

1

Answered . The outcome of his case, if the evidence is there, is not optimistic. Statutory rape is a strict liability crime, so there is no defense to speak of. If he ends up being a registered sexual offender, it may affect your job opportunities if your work involves children and you use your joint residence, e.g. you open a daycare center and he lives in the building or same structure used for the daycare. Otherwise, it won't have any direct effect on your employment, though you can't bring him to work or functions if there are children there. In fact, you will find very few events that he can go too since there are almost always underage children (this includes teenagers).