Skip to main content

My boyfriend is being charged with probation violation for the 2nd time, about how long will his jail sentence be?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

His original charge was burglary w/tools, which was a felony. it is his second violation of his probation, he also recieved another charge for possession of cannabis with intent to sell, the possession charge can be bonded, however the probation charge cannot. he previously did 6 months in jail for the first violation, by choice to lessen his probation sentence. We do plan to hire a lawyer, however if we didn't how long would the sentence be? And if the possession charge isn't bonded out will it extend the jail sentence by a lot?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. A probation violation can carry the remainder of his sentence. Since this is his second violation and he has already done 6 months, the prosecutor may ask to place his sentence into effect. I would consult an attorney today. Good Luck!

    Call 615-736-9596 for consultation. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for information only. Call me or another attorney to represent you.

  2. It is impossible for any attorney to tell you what the sentence will be, though he certainly is facing the possibility of some time based on the facts that you presented. Judges are often quite tough on multiple probation violations, especially when there is a new felony charge.
    We handle cases like this out of our office in Fort Lauderdale.
    954 764-6099

    Daniel M. Berman This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

  3. Your b/f is looking at serving the rest of his original sentence in prison. He needs to immediately hire or obtain a lawyer!

  4. This question requires more facts than provided. Also unless an attorney actually reviews your boyfriends case file and his priors the questions you asked are unanswerable in my opinion. I could give you best guesses but that isn't going to help him or you. You should hire private counsel or get a free consultation from private counsel so that an attorney can carefully go through his file. I'm sorry that I couldn't provide you with a perfect answer but attorney's practice law like dr's and need to thoroughly review the file for all kinds of facts to determine the best course of action. Many lawyers on AVVO can assist.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Kassebaum, Robinson & Abelairas, P.A. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at or email me at

  5. With your boyfriend second probation violation being a new law violation, he is looking at serious prison time. My colleagues are correct, your boyfriend could serve the duration of his probation in prison. Your bf can also be sentenced individually for the new law violation. It would be important to know what his score sheet looks like and how much of his probation (conditions) he has completed successfully. I handle these matters and offer a free consultation.

    Please understand that the following is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make legal determinations on your legal matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed.

  6. The fact that it's his second violation, and he continues to catch new charges while on probation is not a good factor in his case. He needs to talk to an attorney about the charges. Only after a careful review of the facts and circumstances would any advice be relevant and helpful. Any sentence will depend on the charges, any aggravating factors, prior record, etc.

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.