Skip to main content

My boyfriend has been convicted of robbery and now he faces deportation what can I do to keep him here? Marriage?

Spring Valley, NY |

Its a felon will they let him do his time then deport him?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. This is a question for an immigration attorney.

    Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.

  2. Hire an immigration attorney. My firm handles criminal immigration matters.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Contact an immigration attorney ASAP. Unfortunately, the immigration consequences should have been dealt with prior to his plea of guilty. You can also contact the immigration defense fund which provides free information for you. I do not believe marriage will keep him in this country, however they will be better to advise you on what if anything can be done at this point. Good luck to you!

  4. There are so many factors that need to be known before answering this question. For starters, we would need to know his current immigration status, where the conviction took place, under what section of the applicable penal law he was convicted, whether he has any prior offenses, and how much time he was sentenced to.

    Cory Forman

    40 Fulton Street - Seventh Floor
    New York, NY 10038
    Phone: 212-766-9111; 212-766-9177; 212-227-2394
    Fax: 212-766-9166

  5. You should retain a good immigration lawyer as this is a complicated matter. He will most likely serve his time and be deported on a serious felony like robbery and it will not help if you get married in most cases.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics