Skip to main content

My Boyfriend got deported to Mexico and we want to get married, how can i bring him back to the U.S?

Fort Worth, TX |

My boyfriend and i had been planning to get married. not to long ago he got arrested with a charge of a DWI and an INS hold. will i be able to marry him. will i have problems with immigration? please help!!!!

Attorney Answers 3


You may be able to, but it depends on a lot of specifics. You should schedule a consultation whether by phone or in person.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

Mark as helpful


If your boyfriend got deported he will have to stay out of the United States for 10 years under current immigration laws. If he was allowed to leave voluntarily, he may be able to come back sooner if you are married and he qualifies for a waiver for unlawful presence. While the DWI is not usually a deportable offense, immigration may view him as an alcoholic and require a medical waiver as well. The best approach is to consult with an immigration attorney before you do anything else.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


You should talk to an attorney, to see if he qualifies for any waiver.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law -

Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on any website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or - If you are low income go here: or

Capriotti International Law

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics