My boyfriend got arrrested for a handgun and drugs are there attys that do pro bono work for cases like these?

Lawrence, MA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

He was arrested for drugs and a handgun , police officers searched his room but didnt show him a search warrant, when he asked to be shown the search warrant they told him to shut up

At your boyfriend's arraignment, he will have to complete an interview with probation to determine whether he qualifies for a court appointed lawyer at low cost or no cost. The judge will then appoint a lawyer of he qualifies.

If your boyfriend cannot afford an attorney he can ask the court to appoint him a lawyer. He would be interviewed by the Probation Department to see if he qualifies for an appointed lawyer. If he does qualify financially the court would appoint him a lawyer. There are some great lawyers that take appointed cases.
Other than that you can ask individual lawyers if they would take the case for free, I however don't think that you will have much luck.

I don’t practice in your jurisdiction but I don’t think that there are attorneys who would take on a criminal case bro bono. This is, basically, because if a defendant cannot afford an attorney one would be appointed to him by the court at no cost. If your boyfriend doesn’t qualify for a free lawyer, you may want to reach out to the local bar associations and see if they can provide you with a listing of attorneys who would be willing to handle the matter at a reduced fee/rate.

If he cannot afford a lawyer, the court will appoint one to represent him at a nominal (usually $150) fee.