My boyfriend got arrested for possesion of a gun , and drugs, any attorneys do pro bono work?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Lawrence, MA

Police had a search warrant , my boyfriend asked to see it and they told him to shut up never showed it to him. He has been out of trouble for almost 7 years and got caught up in this mess. Also police took things from the room that werent his but were mine, what can I do to get that back?

1. Patrick T. Donovan

8

Answered . If your boyfriend cannot afford an attorney he can ask the court to appoint him a lawyer. He would be interviewed by the Probation Department to see if he qualifies for an appointed lawyer. If he does qualify financially the court would appoint him a lawyer. There are some great lawyers that take appointed cases.
    Other than that you can ask individual lawyers if they would take the case for free, I however don't think that you will have much luck.

2. Benjamin J Lieberman

4

Answered . I don’t practice in your jurisdiction but I don’t think that there are attorneys who would take on a criminal case bro bono. This is, basically, because if a defendant cannot afford an attorney one would be appointed to him by the court at no cost. If your boyfriend doesn’t qualify for a free lawyer, you may want to reach out to the local bar associations and see if they can provide you with a listing of attorneys who would be willing to handle the matter at a reduced fee/rate.