My boyfriend got arrested for domestic violence, harrassment and strangulation. What should I expect?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

He was arrested last week and I am guessing there is a no contact order. The night of the incident alcohol was involved and he is also bipolar. I want to know what to expect if he is convicted. How long would a no contact order be in effect because I would like to know if I could visit him and how long will it be until he goes to court for trial. How common is it for the maximum sentencing? I just am desperate for information.

1. Troy Austin Pickard

3

Answered . The answer depends in part on what your boyfriend's criminal background is like. If he has no record, (and this is assuming that he is only charged with misdemeanor assault and the related misdemeanors, rather than felony assault), then his sentence could be something in the range of 0-30 days in jail, 3 years probation, and some sort of anger management class. If he has a long criminal history, then his sentence could be significantly worse.

If he was convicted, a judge could order him to have no contact with the victim for the entirety of his probation - so potentially three years. However, if he does well on probation, completes his domestic violence / anger management classes, stays out of trouble, etc., and if the victim wants some contact, many judges may consider allowing contact before the end of probation.

He will likely go to court several times before his actual trial. If there is a trial, it will probably be in the next 2-4 months.

Portland Defender
    1001 Southwest 5th Avenue
    Suite 1100
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 592-0606