My boyfriend finished a construction job 2 weeks ago, hasn't been paid. The homeowner sold the house, and is going through HUD.

Apollo, PA |

The homeowner is going through HUD for payment. Job completion form was signed 4/13. I know paperwork has to be done, etc, but why is it taking this long? What exactly are they doing, or should be doing? Shouldn't these things have been done maybe before, or during the work process? What is the deal with this?

The written contract (hopefully your boyfriend has a written contract) would govern payment terms. If the written contract has no specified time period for payment, then any "reasonable" time may apply.

It's not at all unusual for contracts to give someone who owes money for services weeks, and even months, to make payment.

Of course, as with all of my online answers, my advice is limited by the brevity of your question and the facts provided. Additional information would be required to provide definitive legal advice, so this answer isn't intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck!

If you feel this answer has been helpful, please consider checking the "good answer" box below.

Construction law topics

Recommended articles about Construction law