My boyfriend does not have his papers to be here and he got a dui on 10/15 went to court on 10/16 was give court date for 11/28

Asked almost 2 years ago - Richmond, VA

I would have to get a divorce first my spouse and I have been llegally seperated for 5 years and no kids or property just dragging our feet but he both are ready to sign divorce papers. We have a cordial relationship.

Additional information

yes he is currently on an ice hold... I was reading and I read that if he will be a citizen after the court date everything will be okay. that is where I got the idea to try to expedite my divorce and marry him asap. we already talked about marriage but he did not want to push me to spend money for the divorce.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Joseph Mcgrath


    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I represent those who are charged witb DUI in Richmond and nearby countie. It ierportant that he hire a lawyer as soon as he can. I

  2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm not sure if this is an immigration question or a DUI question.

    For immigration and piece of mind, you need to get your divorce completed.

    For the DUI, your boyfriend needs a lawyer who understands DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving Defense and Immigration consequences of criminal court matters. He needs that lawyer, now.

    Is he on an ICE hold?

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more
  3. Mordechai Elazar Book

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He needs to be careful in court. He should not plead guilty unless he consults with an experienced immigration lawyer as to the immigration consequences of whatever the prosecutor is offering. For that matter, he should spend money on a criminal attorney who can help in negotiating a proper plea (unless he is not guilty and can win, of course). Good luck!

    This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was... more
  4. Kimberly Schaefer


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not only should he seek legal counsel for his DUI case, he should make sure that his DUI lawyer understands the potential immigration consequences that he could face.

    In addition, if your boyfriend is not in a lawful status there is a good possibility that his DUI case will bring him to the attention of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). This means that he could be placed in removal proceedings and have to appear in immigration court even if he wins his DUI case. He should consult with an immigration lawyer as soon as possible to explore what options he may have if he is sent to immigration court.

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Dealing with a DUI arrest

A DUI arrest must be based on probable cause: the officer must have enough evidence to arrest, as determined by a combination of factors.

William C. Head

The Most Common Types of DUI-DWI

Police officers utilize two primary ways to charge you with “drunk” driving. These are “impaired driving” and “driving with an unlawful blood alcohol level” or “per se” DUI-DWI. These two... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,099 answers this week

3,350 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,099 answers this week

3,350 attorneys answering