Skip to main content

My boyfriend applied to immigration about 8 months ago to be able to stay in this country. What chance does he have?

Chicago, IL |

My boyfriend crossed the border illegally about 9 years ago, has held the same job since then, and didn't have trouble with the law until about 2 years ago. He had a girlfriend with whom he had a child and the girlfriend called the police on him for domestic violence charges, saying he hit her, even though he did nothing. He got a bad lawyer for court and the lawyer told him to plead guilty because that's the fastest way to be done with the problem. He ended up with a misdemeanor in domestic violence with no evidence of the girlfriend being hurt. Since then, he has been battling for custody of his child and applied to immigration about 8 months ago to be able to stay in the country. His lawyer right now is telling him he has 80-90% chance he will be able to stay. What is your opinion?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


He should contact his attorney. Given these facts, I am not sure what your boyfriend qualifies for. It is best to ask his attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


His attorney knows the facts of his case. We do not.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


These questions should be addressed to your lawyer, for only he/she is familiar with all the facts in your BF's case. We are not.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Not enough information. His lawyer has all of the procedural history but based on this information alone there is no way he is entitled to stay in the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You didn't provide enough information to give you a proper answer. Schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney who can go over his case with him.


Khaja M. Din, Esq.

Din Law, LLC
(312) 361-8462

Free Initial Consult For All Your Immigration Questions

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer