My boyfriend and i have been dating for 10 months and we want to get married next year im a US citizen & his a dominican citizen

Asked over 2 years ago - Woodbridge, VA

what do i have to do to bring him to the US and if i get married with him over in dominican republic how long will it take to take out of his country ,what do i need to first be for i bring him over here

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mark Ivan Davies


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Thank you for your question.

    You can choose to get married in either the United States or the DR. The immigration options you pursue will vary depending on which you choose.

    If you marry in the DR your choices include:

    -- To apply for a green card for your spouse and seek consular processing
    -- To apply for a K-3 marriage visa (we are not currently recommending these visas to clients except for special circumstances)

    If choose you marry in the US you may:

    -- Apply fiance (K-1) visa. After entering the US you will have to marry within 90 days and apply for a green card (Adjustment of Status) for your spouse.

    -- Apply for adjustment of status once your spouse is in the US. THIS ROUTE CANNOT BE FOLLOWED UNLESS YOUR SPOUSE LEGITIMATELY ENTERS THE COUNTRY WITH INTENT TO LEAVE again but subsequently changes his mind, even then USCIS may look at the circumstances with suspicion.

    The time it takes to process a visa for your husband/fiance under these different options varies and can take up to one year. Please ask if you would like more substantive information.

    Please be aware that unfortunately the US Government view the Dominican Republic as one of the top 3 centers for marriage fraud. From experience, the US embassy in SD check applications extremely thoroughly and you will need to ensure that you have a very full and complete package documenting the validity of your relationship. I STRONGLY suggest you work with an immigration lawyer used to dealing with the US Embassy in the DR who can guide you through the preparation of a very complete package. Please be careful in choosing a lawyer. I currently have a case where a couple from the DR have had a less than helpful experience using a local lawyer resulting in multiple visa denials -- always ask for references, AILA membership is usually helpful and ask how many visa applications a lawyer has had approved and rejected.

    Good luck!


    This answer should be considered to be general information only and does not constitute legal advice. Our firm... more
  2. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Please read the article below and contact me with any questions

    if you like this answer, visit our website

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  3. David Eli Larson


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Don't try to do this without retaining an immigration Lawyer. See the link below for the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,639 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,639 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering