My boyfriend & I have lived in this efficiency for 10 years need answers.

Asked over 1 year ago - Pompano Beach, FL

For 10 years, my boyfriend has paid every Friday rent. Now we are finding out the house is in foreclosure. We have no binding agreement it was all done on a handshake. Do we still have to pay rent to the landlord even though it's in foreclosure ? How long do the usually give you to move out in Broward county Florida?

1. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

5

1

Answered . Until the property is actually sold it still is owned by the landlord. If you do not pay rent he/she can evict you. Is that what you want?

As a practical matter, cases in Broward County can still take a year--it will depend on whether the landlord will contest the case. The landlord may try to work a deal with the bank, or declare bankruptcy, or reinstate the loan to make it current, or make it take as much time as possible. The time frame has so many possibilities, it is like the hurricane map on the weather channel, where the cone is bigger the further away you are from the initial location. You could be there for years if the landlord seeks protection in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

2. Preston Hall Oughton

Pro

Answered . The Lease will govern the relationship between the landlord and tenant. Most lease agreements will outline what happens when the landlord is in breach. Generally, the Florida statutes provide rules when no lease exists. I recommend you talk with an attorney about your situation.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Preston H. Oughton, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Preston H. Oughton poughton@oughtonlaw.com (904) 854-6336.

3. Leonore M. Greller

Answered . Yes, you still have to pay rent, but you can also speak with the landlord about the foreclosure and your concerns . It can take a long time to foreclose, but you may be more comfortable looking to see what else is available.