My boss was out to get me and fired me? Do I have grounds for a wrongful termination suit?

Saddle Brook, NJ |

I was a supervisor and I was blamed for something one of my subordinates didn't do. What are my rights in NJ? Can I sue?

1. More facts are needed in order to better evaluate your situation such as the facts giving rise to your termination.

Be advised that New Jersey is an at-will employment state. Meaning, that your employer may terminate you for any reason or no reason at all. However, your employer may not terminate or discipline you based on discriminatory or retaliatory reasons such as your race, gender, religion, disability, or because you blew the whistle on the employer’s unlawful practices.

I would be interested in discussing the above with you in order to determine if you have a cause of action against your employer. Please contact an experienced employment attorney.

Arykah A. Trabosh
    Employment Attorney
    856.874.9090
    e-mail: a.trabosh@schorrlaw.com

You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. The use of this website for communications with Arykah A. Trabosh, Esquire, will not establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. If you were an employee at will (not in a union, no employment contract, and not a government employee), there is very little you can do if your boss gets you fired, unless there was discrimination or another unlawful motive involved. It's impossible to tell from your post whether your boss was out to get you for some unlawful motive or if he/she simply did not like you.

You can always consult a local employment attorney for a consultation. Good luck.

3. I agree with my Colleagues.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.