My boss tries to intimidate me

Andover, MA |

sort of want me to think he is connected to some kind of mob thing i know it sound nuts but he is.

Whatever your boss may or may not be a part of does not entitle him to threaten you in the workplace and create a hostile work environment. You should consult an employment attorney to review the facts with you and see what rights or remedies you may have. Best of luck.

Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.) Attorney Kremer is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. Please visit her Avvo profile for contact information. In accordance with Avvo guidelines, the following disclaimer applies to all responses given in this forum: The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

So what does "tries to intimidate me" actually mean in practice? Rather obviously, that critical fact will drive ANY meaningful response to your post.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Your question is unclear. However, if your bosses attempts to intimidate you are preventing you from effectively performing your duties, this may be considered a hostile work environment. If the intimidation escalates to the point where you feel you have no choice but to quit your job, you may still be able to collect unemployment benefits based on a theory of constructive discharge. Without knowing the details of your situation, it is difficult to say for sure. I suggest you consult an employment law attorney before taking any sort of action. Best of luck.

This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with Attorney McCall. Does he intimidate you in the way he dresses, carries himself, his physical size? Or does he actually verbally threaten you? Some bosses are just big, tough, and loud -- while you may find that personally intimidating it doesn't mean he's doing anything actionable. While it's conceivable that he could be creating a hostile work environment, more information is necessary.

Douglas Lloyd is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Answers provided on Avvo are intended for informational purposes only; they are not intended as legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. The material is presented with the understanding and agreement that I am not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services by posting it.

You don't give any facts that would suggest intimidation, so it's difficult for anyone to give you advice based on this very limited sentence. Further, and more importantly, if your boss is "connected" then don't put more details on here.

You should speak with an employment attorney.