My boss said i cant dress thats why im not getting no hours

Brentwood, CA |

my boss told me that i dress horriable and if i want more hours i need to dress better if i dont dress better then i dont get more hours i work at a used fashion store

Do you have a question? Assuming your question is whether or not your boss can discriminate against you because you do not dress fashionably while working in a used fashion store -- the answer is yes. You have not cause to complain on that ground.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Discrimination on the basis of your clothes is not unlawful unless it is a cultural or national origin discrimination. It is possible that employer comments associated with your clothes could be a form of sexual harassment, but your facts do not disclose anything that would allow for that.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

As stated, this behavior, without more, is not discrimination. Have the manager give you examples of "fashionable" outfits from the store's stock.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

Think about it - if you were selling fashion, wouldn't you want your employees to look fashionable? In the grand scheme of things it's all a matter of taste, but it's your employer's taste that matters, not yours. Without language to the contrary in an employment contract, employment in California is "at will" and you can be fired on your employer's whim for anything that's not protected by anti-discrimination laws (race, gender, age, sexual preference, national origin, etc.). If you are a female, and you have male co-workers who dress like slobs, and you feel you are being unfairly singled out because of your gender, then you *might* have an argument that you are being discriminated against, but then again men's and women's fashions might be apples and oranges in a situation like yours - I really don't know enough about fashion to make that call, but if you think there is a gender discrimination issue, consult an attorney who specializes in that.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem and provide formal legal advice - which the foregoing is NOT - without a comprehensive consultation and review of ALL of the facts and documents at issue, for which you should consult an attorney specializing in the relevant practice area rather than relying on a free website. Any reliance upon my (free) evaluation of your (short) explanation of a (likely more complicated) legal question is undertaken at your own risk.

I can dream up a lot of possible legal issues if I were to fill in some of my own facts, but according to what you have written you have no legal issue. A boss commenting on an employee's appearance always gets us lawyers thinking about sex harassment, but you need more facts. Also, if you were wearing a hijab that might raise some issues, but again, you need more facts.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes