My boss listened to a private phone conversation between a therapist and myself. She then questioned me about it. Is this legal.

Rootstown, OH |
Filed under: Privacy law

I have been to my companies legal department with no satisfaction.

1. Were you working in an area where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy? When did you become aware that your boss was listening to your conversation? Was she in close proximity to you where she could hear what you were saying, but not what the therapist was saying? Were you talking on your employer's phone or on a personal cell phone? Does your company have any policies that could potentially be applicable in this situation? A fair answer to your question depends upon additional facts, possibly including private facts you would not want to disclose on a public forum. In order to obtain the best advice, I think you need to consult with a local attorney specializing in employment law to determine your rights.

Although I may provide information concerning potential legal issues in my response to a question, it is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified counsel. You should not and are not authorized to rely on any response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this Site does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and me or my firm. Thank you.

Civil rights topics