My boss and co worker had a degree waived by personnel dept to get hired and get a promotion .I applied but got turned down

Erie, PA |

both positions required a degree period but county executive and personnel waived it for them I applied for a different job that required a degree but got my application turned down I had the experience like them but was told by personnel no. no where did it state substitute for experience on any of the positions but my co worker got the promotion and my boss who had no degree got his waived by approval of county council and the county executive

1. The law does not require that all employees or applicants be treated identically, nor that all similar situations be decided or handled the same way. Each instance can be evaluated on its merits and individual facts and circumstances, and on the specific impact and needs of the employer, and these permissible criteria will often lead to different results.

That said, if the decision against your application was caused by consideration of a protected characteristic, such as race or religion, then there may be actionable unlawful discrimination. If there is no evidence that protected classifications were the basis for the difference in decisions, then it is unlikely that you have a legal claim based on unlawful discrimination.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. I agree. Generally, if a decision to not hire someone is made on the basis of the candidate's race, gender, nationality, etc. then the employer may be liable for discrimination. Here, it sounds like the decision was made for other reasons. You may want to consult with an employment attorney about the specific facts of your situation, however.

This response is meant for general information only and does not constitute legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.