My boss/ owner of the company is extremely racist towards me and other black people in the workplace. Can I sue and what for?

Hampton, VA |

The owner of the company I work for is very racist and has says racial slurs directed at me and other black employees. I am currently employed with this company and I have been for seven weeks know and I have noticed this going on within the first week of me working there. This discrimination is unjust and causes a very hostile work environment. I have several witnesses, including black and white, who can contest to this and recordings of this occurring also. Can I sue and use these recordings in court? What can I sue for? Having a very hard time enduring all of this discrimination, while trying to right the injustice that is happening. What to do?

I strongly suggest that you contact an attorney experienced in employment discrimination on this website, you local bar referral service or www.mwela.org or www.nela.org to discuss your particular situation. Keep in mind that in order to prove discrimination, the burden is on you.

This is meant as general legal information and is not to be construed as legal advice in an attorney client relationship.

You should get a consultation with a plaintiff employment lawyer, many give free consultations, check beforehand. Also, many take the case on contingency if they want to take it. Use the "find a lawyer" tool on this site, and your local bar association is a good referral source as well.

For a lawsuit based on discrimination, you would have to first file an claim with the EEOC. If they find evidence of discrimination, they will give you paperwork akin to permission to sue. If you want to go this route, you may want to have the attorney first, as he/she may be able to help with the EEOC claim to perhaps increase the chances of a finding of discrimination.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.