My black great grandfather own some land with oil and it was stolen from him by some armed white men who threaten his family.

is there any way his kids are entitled to that land and oil and money that was made on it. this was back in the 30s and 40s. at the time he had hire a black lawyer but someone had killed him and after know one would say it was related to that oil. he hired a white lawyer next and he disappeared. back then there was know justice for a black man what can be done ? should you get all the money that was made on that land. these white men came to him with shot guns and said they wil kill him and his family

Garland, TX -

David M. Pyke

David M. Pyke

Probate Attorney - Dallas, TX

I see this problem in a slightly different form with many pieces of rural land owned by African Americans. Without doubt, the County Courthouse was a hostile place in the 30-40's and even later in Texas. Putting aside trying to prove that the land was stolen, which is probably barred by limitations, any success would simply create a nightmarish heirship problem. I'm almost guaranteeing you that there was no estate of your great-grandther and his heirs. Someone would have to spend a significant amount of money proving all the heirs of your great-grandfather. The fractional ownership you might receive might exceed the cost. The effort to get everyone to contribute their fair share is usually futile.

Despite my true sympathy and belief in your situation, the legal practicalities are probably overwhelming.

Matthew Erik Johnson

Matthew Erik Johnson

Probate Attorney - Seattle, WA

My belief is no. The statute of limitations is long since passed - and adverse possession would also be a defense to any litigation. If the people who did it are alive, you might be able to get a criminal conviction - but I doubt it.

There is the slimmest of chances you might get a claim of restitution in equity. Very very outside. You might look around for someone who wants the challenge, you never know.

Eric Jerome Gold

Eric Jerome Gold

Probate Attorney - Calabasas, CA

MY colleagues have provided you with good information. The reality of the situation is that it is likely far too late for this. That being said, if you interview attorneys, you may find one that is looking for such a challenge. Good luck to you.