My BF is on probation and he was arrested on charges of possession of ctrl sub. sch 1,2 / marij. What's expected?

Asked over 1 year ago - Little Rock, AR

What will happen now? Do he need a lawyer.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Seth Layton Bowman


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . He's facing two different things: criminal case and probation revocation. Unlike "beyond a reasonable doubt" probation revocations are easier for the government to prove - so it is easier for him to be convicted for this than for a criminal charge. There are a ton of factors that impact "what is expected." Most importantly, what court is it, what are his priors, how much drugs, was he charged with intent to distribute, possession, or actual sales..... was there a video tape or other evidence...... ? I mean that is a very incomplete beginning on figuring out what is expected on the criminal charge. On the probation revocation he is likely facing the maximum sentence he was eligible for on the original charge. Whenever you get charges on top of a probation revocation, jail time is likely. He needs an attorney like a house that just caught on fire needs the fire department. If he has a drug program, a lot of areas in the state offer reduced sentences for drug rehabilitation. Make sure the attorneys you consider are on board for BOTH the criminal charge and the revocation.

    We are expressly not creating an attorney client privilege. While I am a criminal defense attorney, I am just... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Arrest for criminal charges

Arrest is when a law enforcement officer takes you into custody, typically to jail. Officers must have a warrant or probable cause in order to arrest you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,617 answers this week

2,437 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,617 answers this week

2,437 attorneys answering