My bank account was garnished I have not received anything. I am on food stamps because my husband lost his job.

Asked over 1 year ago - Villa Rica, GA

The bank won't show me the " court order " and I have not received anything regarding this garnishment . I barely can get to work because they took everything and overrated my account . I have to support a family of 5 . Right now I m the only one working . Please advise

I was in Chapter 7 bankruptcy from 2009 to 2012. The company garnishing me now, never showed up for the bankruptcy hearing and the judge dismissed thier case.
How can they come after me now?

1. David Jason Merbaum

2

1

Answered . You are supposed to get a copy of the garnishment via the mail. File a traverse with the court ASAP as they have forms for this and see a creditor debtor attorney that knows this area of the law

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

1

Answered . Plan to see an attorney Monday! (If you don't have one, feel free to call me at 404-768-3509). A garnishment happens after you lose a lawsuit, so this was actually something you should have expected at this point.

You may have two routes to deal with this. Very possibly, a bankruptcy to deal with this and your other debts, may be away to get back your money, wipe out this debt and solve other problems.

In some cases, you may have grounds for a traverse (for example the creditor has to mail you notice, although usually this will come in a few days, but if they didn't that's a ground).

In any event, if you miss some very short windows the money is gone forever. Act fast in case it can be recovered. Once you miss the deadlines it is too late.