Skip to main content

My bank account was garnished I have not received anything. I am on food stamps because my husband lost his job.

Villa Rica, GA |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

The bank won't show me the " court order " and I have not received anything regarding this garnishment . I barely can get to work because they took everything and overrated my account . I have to support a family of 5 . Right now I m the only one working . Please advise

I was in Chapter 7 bankruptcy from 2009 to 2012. The company garnishing me now, never showed up for the bankruptcy hearing and the judge dismissed thier case. How can they come after me now?

Attorney Answers 2


Plan to see an attorney Monday! (If you don't have one, feel free to call me at 404-768-3509). A garnishment happens after you lose a lawsuit, so this was actually something you should have expected at this point.

You may have two routes to deal with this. Very possibly, a bankruptcy to deal with this and your other debts, may be away to get back your money, wipe out this debt and solve other problems.

In some cases, you may have grounds for a traverse (for example the creditor has to mail you notice, although usually this will come in a few days, but if they didn't that's a ground).

In any event, if you miss some very short windows the money is gone forever. Act fast in case it can be recovered. Once you miss the deadlines it is too late.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



I was in Chapter 7 bankruptcy from 2009 to 2012. The company that got the garnishment did not show up for the bankruptcy. So the judge dismissed it. How can they still garnish me after that?


You are supposed to get a copy of the garnishment via the mail. File a traverse with the court ASAP as they have forms for this and see a creditor debtor attorney that knows this area of the law

This is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and none is to be implied either. You must contact an attorney and present all facts before you can and should act on this response

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics