Skip to main content

My background check shows retail theft from when I was a minor. How is this so?

State College, PA |

When I was 17, I stole from walmart and was fingerprinted. I was not arrested. I am not 20. Why is this still showing on my record. I thought someone needed a court order in order to view my juvenile record.

Attorney Answers 3


Not for retail theft, a summary conviction. However, it can be expunged from your record five years after the conviction,

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


It was probably a summary offense so a citation would have been issued. You most likely paid a fine and the case was over. The good news is that you are able to have the case expunged five years after the case was concluded. You should hire a criminal attorney to handle this for you.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues, the summary citation is not sealed. However, you may file a petition to have your record expunged as a juvenile if you have been free of all criminal activity for 5 years from the date of the summary conviction.

Responses on AVVO do not create an attorney-client relationship. You shold consult with counsel for a full review of your case.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics