My background check shows retail theft from when I was a minor. How is this so?

Asked about 2 years ago - State College, PA

When I was 17, I stole from walmart and was fingerprinted. I was not arrested. I am not 20. Why is this still showing on my record. I thought someone needed a court order in order to view my juvenile record.

1. Forest Dean Morgan

4

Answered . Not for retail theft, a summary conviction. However, it can be expunged from your record five years after the conviction,

2. Robert C. Keller

3

Answered . It was probably a summary offense so a citation would have been issued. You most likely paid a fine and the case was over. The good news is that you are able to have the case expunged five years after the case was concluded. You should hire a criminal attorney to handle this for you.

3. Alyssa Harland Knisely

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, the summary citation is not sealed. However, you may file a petition to have your record expunged as a juvenile if you have been free of all criminal activity for 5 years from the date of the summary conviction.